I had the realization that this summer went by way to fast when I found myself sitting in an AM class this morning. School is back in full swing and like me, everyone is rushing to get done the stuff that they have put off all summer. But don’t worry, there is a positive side to this! It means that there are a lot of events going on this week to kick off the new 2016 school year! Here are some events that are going on this week:
1. Rocky Mountain National Park Free Day above Loveland
The national park is celebrating their 100th birthday, and that means that you can gain free access to the park this week! I always try to take advantage of the free days in the park for three reasons: 1. It’s an easy way to save $20 bucks, 2. It’s so close, Rocky Mountain National Park is a short 30 min drive from Loveland, and 3. The views are fantastic. This is probably one of my favorite places on Earth. There is so much to do in the park; including one of my favorite hikes, Bierstadt Lake! If you get the chance this week, I highly recommend you take advantage of the free entry and go see Bierstadt Lake. It’s an easy hike and well worth it.
- Happening: Thursday through Sunday
- When: August 25th through 28th
- Where: Rocky Mountain National Park
2. The Head and the Heart Ramfest Concert in Fort Collins
Every year Colorado State University hosts a concert to welcome the students back. This year they have a great line-up, including Coleman Hell and The Head and The Heart! This event is open to the public and takes place during the first week of school. The tickets are very affordable for such a great band.
- Happening: Friday, August 26th
- When: Gates open at 5 PM
- Where: Colorado State University Intramural Fields, Fort Collins, CO
3. AgriCulture: Fest 2016 in Greeley
photo source: (facebook.com)
This is a free event that includes live music, petting zoo, and food! “The free, family-friendly festival, that runs from 9am-3pm is a day of delicious discovery, delight & community spirit. Friends, families & neighbors will share in celebrating the good life in Weld County.” – Greeley Unexpected
- Happening: Saturday, August 27th
- When: 9 AM to 3 PM
- Where: Greeley Union Pacific Railroad Depot, 7th Ave and 9th St, Greeley, CO
4. Reading and Signing from the Author of Horse Boy in Fort Collins
I’m sure at some point you have heard of the book “The Horse Boy.” Author, Rupert Isaacson, wrote about his families incredible journey with horses to help his son find peace while living with severe autism. Since the release of this book lots of therapeutic facilities have adopted his method to help others. This reading is taking place at Letterpress & Publick House in Fort Collins. If you have the chance to go, I would! He is a best-selling author who has amazing insight to how horses and humans interact to form bonds. It would be interesting to hear his thoughts in person.
- Happening: Wednesday, August 24th
- When: 7:30 PM to 9 PM
- Where: Letterpress & Publick House, 316 Willow St, Fort Collins, CO
5. Comedy Open Mic Competition in Fort Collins
An open comedy mic night kind of explains itself. Ma’s Juice Bar is hosting this event and giving out some really incredibly cheap drink specials while they are at it. They actually host different events all throughout the week including trivia night and salsa dancing. Sounds like a good time either way, plus you can’t get much cheaper than $1 shots.
- Happening: Wednesday, August 24th
- When: 9 PM to 12 AM
- Where:Yum Yum’s/Ma’s Juice Bar, 1300 W Elizabeth St, Fort Collins, CO
I hope everyone keeps up with the demand of the new school year. It can definitely be overwhelming at times but hang in there and whether you have students or are students, I wish you all the best,